Thursday, July 13, 2006

A TILE-ing we will go!

Last Friday, I got to experience my first 18-hour day...from 7 am to 1 am the next day. I wasn't used to working like that and I wonder how my sister, who's a medical resident in Cincinnati works for 24 or 36 hours straight. Her work ethic and stamina have always blown me away.

It was a really trying day, with equipment woes increasing and red tape swirling all around me, I was losing grasps of the relaxation and inner peace I found when I was in India. Life seemed so much simpler as a nomad volunteer. Wake up, work at the site, go back to the hotel, sleep. But something was still missing. This dream of mine. And that's why I'm here now I guess.

Under the leadership of Mike Green and Fe Myers, our wonderful tile project ensued last Friday. After taking away some walls and having some plumbing projects, we had to repair about 50 sq ft of floor tile. We spent about 20+ hours on the project over the weekend...hunched over, covered in mortar and grout and praying that they weren't all suddenly going to pop loose.

I got a phone call from Pat Smith around 10 pm on Sunday and I told him what we were up to. He responded, "You're having dinner at 10 o'clock...and tiling....welcome to the world of small business!"

He was right, I was here and there was no turning back...I had signed my life away to long hours, no vacations and endless headaches. But the flipside of that is that I'm building a career that I love, working with the people I love, and proving to myself that a little person can do big things in this world.

No comments: